Friday, February 7, 2014

Book Review: World After by Susan Ee

Series: Penryn and the end of days (#2)
Published: November 19th, 2013
Publisher: Skyscape
Genres: Post-Apocalyptic, Angels(Paranormal), Young Adult
Purchase: Amazon | Barnes & Noble

In this sequel to the bestselling fantasy thriller, Angelfall, the survivors of the angel apocalypse begin to scrape back together what's left of the modern world.

When a group of people capture Penryn's sister Paige, thinking she's a monster, the situation ends in a massacre. Paige disappears. Humans are terrified. Mom is heartbroken.

Penryn drives through the streets of San Francisco looking for Paige. Why are the streets so empty? Where is everybody? Her search leads her into the heart of the angels' secret plans where she catches a glimpse of their motivations, and learns the horrifying extent to which the angels are willing to go.

Meanwhile, Raffe hunts for his wings. Without them, he can't rejoin the angels, can't take his rightful place as one of their leaders. When faced with recapturing his wings or helping Penryn survive, which will he choose?(From Goodreads)

Review ~ CONTAINS MINOR SPOILERS

So, like...um...yea. Amazing. This starts off right where Angelfall left off. So, like, to all those who haven't read Angefall yet, I don't know what you're waiting for. It's amazing. Go on! Shoo! Get out of here and come back when you've finished the 2nd book too!

Right. It picks up right where Angelfall leaves us, so, you must know that Raffe is not there with her. So, basically, the first 75% of the book consists of Penryn surviving on her own, and protecting her family. Later on, Paige runs away into the woods and Penryn is determined to save her. That's when Raffe comes in, and at that point, it's like 3/4 of the book already.

I just need to put this out there, I wasn't very bored during the first half of the book, but I was like waiting for Raffe to come in. I mean, seriously, he's the one character that kept me reading World After, because I wanted to know whether or not he'd come back in this book or the next. I mean, Susan did a very great job and making Raffe so addictive and causes me, and maybe you, to be head over toes about him. Again, we don't see Raffe again until practically, near the end of the book. During that time, in the beginning, yes, it was boring, but you're reading completely different without Raffe in the way and that you still see Penryn's determination to save her sister. We really got to see Penryn develop during that time, and I'm glad I was able to read through it and seeing her grow

I loved, scratch that, love Penryn as a character. She's smart and fierce and a person that someone could depend on. She makes the right AND wrong choice, but that's normal. She's not all about love in this post-apocalyptic world. She cares more for her family than anyone else, and seeing her grow her love for Raffe is interesting to read and amazing to see(in your head). And Raffe. He doesn't appear much in this book, but remember the sword? It's alive! It has memories! It could show you different scenes when Penryn was and wasn't there. Through the sword, we learn ALOT more about him than we could've learned from Raffe himself.

Notable Quotes:
"Why bother attacking their strengths when you can go straight for their weaknesses?"
I consider lying but what's the point? I clear my throat. "Pooky Bear."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...