Saturday, February 15, 2014

Book Review: Sapphire Blue by Kerstin Gier

Series: The Ruby Red Trilogy (#2)
Published: October 30, 2012
Publisher: Henry Holt
Genres: SciFi, Fantasy, Young Adult
Purchase: Amazon | Barnes & Noble


Gwen’s life has been a rollercoaster since she discovered she was the Ruby, the final member of the secret time-traveling Circle of Twelve. In between searching through history for the other time-travelers and asking for a bit of their blood (gross!), she’s been trying to figure out what all the mysteries and prophecies surrounding the Circle really mean.

At least Gwen has plenty of help. Her best friend Lesley follows every lead diligently on the Internet. James the ghost teaches Gwen how to fit in at an eighteenth century party. And Xemerius, the gargoyle demon who has been following Gwen since he caught her kissing Gideon in a church, offers advice on everything. Oh, yes. And of course there is Gideon, the Diamond. One minute he’s very warm indeed; the next he’s freezing cold. Gwen’s not sure what’s going on there, but she’s pretty much destined to find out.
Review ~ Random quotes throughout the review, doesn't relate to the paragraphs.

So, Sapphire Blue kind of picks up where Ruby Red leaves off, and there's not much of an intro, so it took me a while to kind of understand everything and grasp the concept again. But, after I got into it, It was amazing. I love the way it's written. When Gier writes the kiss/romance scenes, omg, I'm like, dying. It is so well written, I literally feel like I'm right there, watching them "make babies"...(creepy...)


"And if I may give you a piece of advice: a clever woman succeeds in concealing her jealousy. Otherwise we men always feel so sure of ourselves..."

You see, Sapphire Blue's main character, which is Gwen, is annoying. Like, she's too "free", I guess you can say, while she's traveling in time. She brings items she's not supposed to bring into the past just to show her best friend something, and she keeps breaking the rules. And Gideon. He's like, the more serious, non-rebellious bad boy..That doesn't make sense, but whatever. I don't really ship them, they don't really match each other.



"Come on, pull yourself together. My. George is right: love comes in at the window and common sense flies out."

Something I like about Gwyneth was the fact that she could see things other people can't(demons and ghosts), and I loved that aspect in the book. It brought more "oomph" to the novel.

So, today, I was talking to my friend in English class about stories having a moral. Yes, we were talking about that, because we had to write a 5 page story that have a lesson, which, I can't really think of any...I just read and rarely write books for entertainment, not for learning. Anyways, so yea, we were talking about stories having a moral, and I notice this novel doesn't have one. Which is totally fine. I just felt the need in pointing that out because it does not fail in entertaining us. My expectations for this book was fulfilled, but not exceeded, which is totally cool.



"Oh, do shut up for once, Charlotte," I said.

Something I want to point out is the Time Traveling aspect. Yes, that's what the whole trilogy revolves around, but it's very confusing. Like, she travels to like 1956 and then goes to 1959 the next day in present time, while it's 3 years later for the person she meets in 1956. Did you understand that? I mean, I understood it, it was just very difficult to process..Haha, maybe I'm just slow.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...