Monday, February 17, 2014

Book Review: Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins

Series: Hex Hall Trilogy (#1)
Published: January 1st, 2010
Publisher: Hyperion Book CH
Genres: Supernatural, Urban Fantasy, Young Adult
Purchase: Amazon | Barnes & Noble

Three years ago, Sophie Mercer discovered that she was a witch. It's gotten her into a few scrapes. Her non-gifted mother has been as supportive as possible, consulting Sophie's estranged father--an elusive European warlock--only when necessary. But when Sophie attracts too much human attention for a prom-night spell gone horribly wrong, it's her dad who decides her punishment: exile to Hex Hall, an isolated reform school for wayward Prodigium, a.k.a. witches, faeries, and shapeshifters.

By the end of her first day among fellow freak-teens, Sophie has quite a scorecard: three powerful enemies who look like supermodels, a futile crush on a gorgeous warlock, a creepy tagalong ghost, and a new roommate who happens to be the most hated person and only vampire student on campus. Worse, Sophie soon learns that a mysterious predator has been attacking students, and her only friend is the number-one suspect.

As a series of blood-curdling mysteries starts to converge, Sophie prepares for the biggest threat of all: an ancient secret society determined to destroy all Prodigium, especially her.

Review ~

Hex Hall lives up to it's hype. It has everything you ever imagined it would have. I've done a very brief review over on my old blog, and I'm going to make this review a lot better. I've read this last year(2013), and I'm reviewing it now.

"That's right! She's the one who nearly killed me last night by putting a charmed bone in my dress!"

This is a very nice book. It's about a girl who finds out she's a witch, three years ago...And then, finally, after 3 years, she gets sent off to a boarding school by her father and she has problems with the other students. As usual, the same storyline as many other books, but nicely written!

Also, Have you ever watched the movie "Mean Girls"? The part in the summary "three powerful enemies who look like supermodels" totally reminded me of that movie. Haha.

"Archer isn't hot anymore," I fired back. "He tried to kill me, and his girlfriend is Satan."

Anyways, back to the novel. I loved the characters. All...well, MOST of them had two sides to themselves. On the outside, they were confident, and on the inside, they were insecure. Rachel Hawkins writes it so the characters have to different sides, I loved the fact that she even included that in the story. Usually, a novel's characters have one side - confident or shy. That's pretty annoying, because everyone has at least two sides. The author just couldn't figure out how to write it, unlike Rachel.

And Sophie. I loved her as the main protagonist. She's everything you could ask for, except she's not perfect. Yes, she's easy to..um...I don't really know how to explain it, but she follows ghosts at night...through the woods(describe that).

"Be careful. The Eye sees you, even here."

The storyline is amazing too. It's written with a lot of humor, and seriously? "BAD DOG".... Hahaha, that had me cracking up for hours, I almost broke my stomach. It's a very hilarious book, but it also contains some scenes with a very cute guy(or at least, I imagine him to be cute). Archer Cross is perfect! It also contains some Harry Potter aspects, but it's appropriate for this type of book, I mean seriously? Magic is forever and always!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...