Published : August 1st 2009
Publisher : Scholastic Press
Pages : 390 (Paperback)
Genres : Urban Fantasy, Paranormal, Supernatural
Blurb from goodreads :
For years, Grace has watched the wolves in the woods behind her house. One yellow-eyed wolf—her wolf—is a chilling presence she can't seem to live without.
Meanwhile, Sam has lived two lives: In winter, the frozen woods, the protection of the pack, and the silent company of a fearless girl. In summer, a few precious months of being human… until the cold makes him shift back again.
Now, Grace meets a yellow-eyed boy whose familiarity takes her breath away. It's her wolf. It has to be. But as winter nears, Sam must fight to stay human—or risk losing himself, and Grace, forever.
Goodreads | Amazon | Barnes & Noble | The Book Depository
Review Time!
Also, I couldn't stand the plot of the story. The ending though, really? Wow, wasn't there another way to write it to give it at least 1/2 star for my rating?
The only thing I liked was the background characters. I mean, they literally fizzled out into nothing after like a few scenes but they added something interesting to the story. Yea, they were background characters, and usually they weren't as needed in other books, but it was very much NEEDED in this book. Without them, I don't think it'll even receive two stars.
Now, You should only read this when you are extremely bored(not that it'll entertain you much, but it will, kind of)and have a lot of time on hand. Alright? Alright.
Notable Quotes :
Grace's PoV.
I remember lying in the snow, a small red spot of warm going cold, surrounded by wolves. They were licking me, biting me, worrying at my body, pressing in. Their huddled bodies blocked what little heat the sun offered. Ice glistened on their ruffs and their breath made opaque shapes that hung in the air around us. The musky smell of their coats made me think of wet dog and burning leaves, pleasant and terrifying. Their tongues melted my skin; their careless teeth ripped at my sleeves and snagged through my hair, pushed against my collarbone, the pulse at my neck.
I could have screamed, but I didn't. I could have fought, but I didn't. I just lay there and let it happen, watching the winter-white sky go gray above me.
One wolf prodded his nose into my hand and against my cheek, casting a shadow across my face. His yellow eyes looked into mine while the other wolves jerked me this way and that.
I held on to those eyes for as long as I could. Yellow. And, up close, flecked brilliantly with every shade of gold and hazel. I didn't want him to look away and he didn't. I wanted to reach out and grab a hold of his ruff, but my hands stayed curled on my chest, my arms frozen to my body.
I couldn't remember what it felt like to be warm.
Then he was gone, and without him, the other wolves closed in, too close, suffocating. Something seemed to flutter in my chest.
There was no sun; there was no light. I was dying. I couldn't remember what the sky looked like.
But I didn't die. I was lost to a sea of cold, and then I was reborn into a world of warmth.
I remember this: his yellow eyes.
I thought I'd never see them again.
Publisher : Scholastic Press
Pages : 390 (Paperback)
Genres : Urban Fantasy, Paranormal, Supernatural
Blurb from goodreads :
For years, Grace has watched the wolves in the woods behind her house. One yellow-eyed wolf—her wolf—is a chilling presence she can't seem to live without.
Meanwhile, Sam has lived two lives: In winter, the frozen woods, the protection of the pack, and the silent company of a fearless girl. In summer, a few precious months of being human… until the cold makes him shift back again.
Now, Grace meets a yellow-eyed boy whose familiarity takes her breath away. It's her wolf. It has to be. But as winter nears, Sam must fight to stay human—or risk losing himself, and Grace, forever.
Goodreads | Amazon | Barnes & Noble | The Book Depository
Review Time!
So, this is a book told in two different point of views. Sam's and Grace's. Wow. I can not say how much this book was so...un-fascinating. I mean, I guess you can say that I quickly sped through the first 180 pages of the book, but that doesn't mean it doesn't have a slow start. Indeed, This book does have a slow start. The only reason I was able to speed through it was that I was wondering what happens next, meaning, I was actually excited to start this book. You have no idea what happened after 200 pages of reading. I slowed down. No, I did not get into a reading slump, because I sped through the amazing book for Angelfall by Susan Ee, after I set aside Shiver.
This book was very BORING for me to read. I'm wondering how I even got through to speeding the first 180 pages. Like what? I also have a question with the romance in this book. Was this like a very fast paced love for one another or an instant, not fast paced, love? I didn't really understand their love. That was the one thing that annoyed me the most. I didn't enjoy reading their love life. It was like they were addicted to each other. The only contact they had was when she was touching him. His fur as a wolf. And then he transformed into human and BAM. Instant love.
Also, I couldn't stand the plot of the story. The ending though, really? Wow, wasn't there another way to write it to give it at least 1/2 star for my rating?
The only thing I liked was the background characters. I mean, they literally fizzled out into nothing after like a few scenes but they added something interesting to the story. Yea, they were background characters, and usually they weren't as needed in other books, but it was very much NEEDED in this book. Without them, I don't think it'll even receive two stars.
Now, You should only read this when you are extremely bored(not that it'll entertain you much, but it will, kind of)and have a lot of time on hand. Alright? Alright.
Notable Quotes :
“You're beautiful and sad," I said finally, not looking at him when I did. "Just like your eyes. You're like a song that I heard when I was a little kid but forgot I knew until I heard it again." For a long moment there was only the whirring sound of the tires on the road, and then Sam said softly, "Thank you.”
“It is possible to be in love with you just because of who you are.”Want a quick excerpt? Click "Read More >>" for the excerpt!
Grace's PoV.
I remember lying in the snow, a small red spot of warm going cold, surrounded by wolves. They were licking me, biting me, worrying at my body, pressing in. Their huddled bodies blocked what little heat the sun offered. Ice glistened on their ruffs and their breath made opaque shapes that hung in the air around us. The musky smell of their coats made me think of wet dog and burning leaves, pleasant and terrifying. Their tongues melted my skin; their careless teeth ripped at my sleeves and snagged through my hair, pushed against my collarbone, the pulse at my neck.
I could have screamed, but I didn't. I could have fought, but I didn't. I just lay there and let it happen, watching the winter-white sky go gray above me.
One wolf prodded his nose into my hand and against my cheek, casting a shadow across my face. His yellow eyes looked into mine while the other wolves jerked me this way and that.
I held on to those eyes for as long as I could. Yellow. And, up close, flecked brilliantly with every shade of gold and hazel. I didn't want him to look away and he didn't. I wanted to reach out and grab a hold of his ruff, but my hands stayed curled on my chest, my arms frozen to my body.
I couldn't remember what it felt like to be warm.
Then he was gone, and without him, the other wolves closed in, too close, suffocating. Something seemed to flutter in my chest.
There was no sun; there was no light. I was dying. I couldn't remember what the sky looked like.
But I didn't die. I was lost to a sea of cold, and then I was reborn into a world of warmth.
I remember this: his yellow eyes.
I thought I'd never see them again.



No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for leaving a comment!