Friday, January 10, 2014

Book Review : The dead and the gone by Susan Beth Pfeffer

Published : June 1st, 2008

Publisher : HMH Books for Young Readers

Pages : 321

Genres : SciFi, Post Apocalyptic, YA

Blurb :

When life as Alex Morales had known it changed forever, he was working behind the counter at Joey's Pizza. He was worried about getting elected as senior class president and making the grades to land him in a good college. He never expected that an asteroid would hit the moon, knocking it closer in orbit to the earth and catastrophically altering the earth's climate. When Alex's parents disappear in the aftermath of tidal waves, he must care for his two younger sisters, even as Manhattan becomes a deadly wasteland. He never expected to be fighting just to stay alive.

Goodreads | Amazon | Barnes & Noble | The Book Depository 

                                                               Review Time!
This is a burtiful book. Oops, typo. I meant : Beautiful. The first book in the series, Life as we knew it is a fascinating book. To be honest, I think you can read the first and second book out of order, but do read the third and fourth book in the series in order. Hahaha.

This book starts off with a 17 year old teen who is currently working at a pizza place. And you know, The same thing happens in this book as it did in Life as we knew it. And asteroid hits the moon, knocking it out of its normal place/position and a little bit closer to Earth. Then everything changes. Right then and there, they get ready for the changes in the environment. Tsunamis, Earthquakes, a Famine, Volcano Eruptions... He has two younger sisters, Julie and Bri. He has to take care of them while their parents of away. Unfortunately, As it says in the blurb above, both of his parents die in the aftermath of a wave, Therefor leaving Alex, alone to watch out for his siblings. It's hard, actually, for him..for everyone.

This book is completely different compared to Life as we knew it. First, it's a different character and he's in a different place, where everything is basically, different. His "diary entries" aren't that much like diary entries, but Susan has written it like a diary.  The PoV is also different, as Life as we knew it is told by a first person point of view of the main character, Miranda, and The Dead and the Gone is told from a third person point of view where we learn about Alex's thoughts and actions in the book.

This book includes ALOT of praying and religious traditions even through the hardships of the moon...being closer to the earth. That's what I love most about this book. I'm surprised how Susan explains a lot about Alex's background, AKA religious background/his culture. Yes, the moon is ending the world, just because it moved closer to the Earth changing the whole environment. And because the moon is ending the world, Alex and his siblings/sisters are putting his faith in God and praying for a better world in a world that's ending sooner or later.

 I love how this book is also very easy to compare to real life, because they get sick, they have a famine, there are realistic environmental changes. It's one of the few traits that I love very much that this book has. This story plot is a more harder life to survive in, practically because Alex is only 17 and his parents are gone, and he's put under the responsibility of taking care of his two younger sisters, Julie - 12 and Bri - 14.

This is a very, very hard book to read. By that, I mean, you can easily compare it to reality, which makes it hard to read. You can simply imagine that. An asteroid hitting the moon closer in orbit to the Earth and changing the whole world. It's very simple to imagine, but you may imagine, it's a very hard world to live in, surviving one day at a time. 


Susan is very talented in writing. Her writing is practically amazing. I love it so much and I love this book very much too! 

Quotes :
"Gin," Alex said, showing Julie his cards. "You owe me $3,870.12."
"I wish Carlos was here," she said.
Click "Read more >> " for a short excerpt!
Alex made three columns and labeled them :
WHAT I DON'T KNOW; WHAT I THINK; WHAT I DON'T KNOW.
Under WHAT I KNOW he wrote :
No subways

Floods
Moon closer to Earth
Carlos all right
Bri and Julie all right
School on Monday
Under WHAT I DON'T KNOW he wrote :
How long it will take for things to get back to normal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...