Sunday, October 12, 2014

Book Review: Opposition by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Series: Lux (#5)
Genres: Young Adult, SciFi, Paranormal, Fantasy, Romance,
Published: August 1st, 2014 by Entangled Teen
Purchase: Amazon | Barnes & Noble

Katy knows the world changed the night the Luxen came.

She can't believe Daemon welcomed his race or stood by as his kind threatened to obliterate every last human and hybrid on Earth. But the lines between good and bad have blurred, and love has become an emotion that could destroy her—could destroy them all.

Daemon will do anything to save those he loves, even if it means betrayal.

They must team with an unlikely enemy if there is any chance of surviving the invasion. But when it quickly becomes impossible to tell friend from foe, and the world is crumbling around them, they may lose everything— even what they cherish most—to ensure the survival of their friends…and mankind.

War has come to Earth. And no matter the outcome, the future will never be the same for those left standing.
Hold up...Can I just like, rant about the cover real quick? Because seriously, It's not cute. I mean, at least they remembered that Daemon's eyes were green, but like...a close up of half of his face isn't cute. Like, why would you do that? And the fact that you make the series name stand out more than the actual title, for me...is just weird. I mean, do it like Origin, where it says a font size smaller "A Lux novel". And in the background is like a shadow figure...of I'm guessing is Katy? This cover doesn't match with the previous, old, BEAUTIFUL, 4 covers. I mean, I know they made new ones so they match, but the new ones aren't too pretty either.


"You've got a big heart, Kitten."


Also, Hold up, let me rant about my copy of the book. The one I received included a Bonus Prequel and I didn't expect the bonus prequel to be so long. So like, when I reached the "epilogue" part of Opposition, I was mad. I was like.."I'm only 3/4 of the way through the book." and I flipped through a few pages and found the prequel "Shadows" and I was like..."why is Shadows like...1/4 of the book." Oh but don't worry, There will be a review on the prequel soon after I finish it.

Anyways, back to the legit review. The previous four books, I've given 5 stars, but Opposition? It's 4 stars. Maybe, if I reread it later on in the future, my rating will change, and I'll make an updated review, but as of now, I'm not as fond of it as I am for Obsidian, Onyx, Opal and Origin. I want to start talking about the feels first. I expected to get hit by a roller coaster and start breaking down or beaming every few paragraphs. But no, all I got was a few laughs here and there. When the sad parts came, I didn't really cry. I was just like ":(" but I wasn't feeling much. I felt like Jennifer L. Armentrout could've built up more relationships with the characters in the previous four. If she did, I would've probably been able to be a bit more sad about losing that character. Don't get me wrong, I have a heart...I just didn't feel it this time around.

Who in the hell is this chick to think she can even say anything?

Next up, Let's talk about the plot. The four books in the Lux series was fun and entertaining to read. They were all about intense action that could get your heart beating, with a few romance scenes here and there. But now, I didn't feel snapsickles. The very intense, burning action scenes that I've been waiting for was pretty good, but practically everywhere were romantic scenes. I mean...I guess you could say I get it, but I don't? Maybe, because this is the last book, she wanted them to be more...together? But there were too many random sex scenes that didn't even feel appropriate. Oh yeah, and then the way Ms. Armentrout wrote Dawson's words in the book just makes me mad at Beth. I feel like, when reading that Dawson doesn't really care about his family and his only priority is Beth. I mean, I know he loves his family, but the writing doesn't show. Like in the beginning, he kind of left Dee for Beth and I was like "For real? -.- "

Also, I felt like I drifted apart from Daemon. He's not the same, arrogant boy I knew since the very beginning. Now, he's all mushy mushy and cheesy. Sure, they know not to take their time for granted, but I just miss the old Daemon! I just need more of him. Also, all the love going on between different characters, I felt were the same. The boys were all overprotective and they didn't really show much of a difference in personality. Like, they were the same Daemon. Annddd, I didn't expect the boy(Sorry, can't say the name because of no spoilers in this review)to come back to Katy so soon. They encountered each other in the first 100 pages and I was like "Already?!"

I'm sorry. Those two words blazed through my consciousness. I can't allow this.

Now, let's talk about the good parts, because I don't want this review to be all negative. I liked the characters and the world. The characters, I loved. They were the same ones I love since the first book.(Although the characters didn't really grow in their personalities...to much.) They weren't there for show, they were there to be legit and have and play out a part. I also love Luc and Hunter. Like, they were the bomb. All the guys in this series are freaking hot and smoking. I expected Luc to be like 11, for some reason, but turned out he's probably around 14 and 15. Hahaha. Not too young, but he's pretty strong. Strong enough to have contact with practically everyone in the world (exaggerating). Oh, I'm sorry, I can't rant about Hunter, because that would be a spoiler.

And the world was simply amazing. They practically traveled around the world in cars. CARS. Sooo legit, it's too funny.

Oh, and the dual POV aspect was nice. I liked being able to feel what the other character is feeling. And the writing isn't dip-snapsickles either. Her writing is very detailed, and she's able to capture their minds and their feelings. It's not a dull, monotonous feeling when you read it, it's actually there. The feelings..I mean. And Katy...Omg. She's soo kick-butt and she was able to use the source so well, I'm actually proud of her. Okay, to be clear, I never criticized Daemon and Katy's romance, I just talked about their out-of-nowhere sex scenes, got it? So let me rant about my OTP. They are so cute! I swear. Daemon can just sputter "I love you" anytime and be cute and adorable. Oh yeah, Don't miss out on this, BUT READ THIS AFTER YOU READ OPPOSITION: Click HERE.

Or copy this AFTER YOU READ OPPOSITION: http://www.jenniferarmentrout.com/a-special-thank-you/

"Holy shit, you really were going to let me go all yum-yum on you."

Ooohh, and I loved the whole plot in general. HEARTS ARE FLYING EVERYWHERE. The Aliens in High School aspect kind of got cut off in the previous books, but it was still funny. I loved the poking and practically everything Katy and Daemon! So I want to thank Kat (from Katytastic on Youtube) for making a video that includes the "Obsidian" book and introducing me, indirectly, to the beautiful Lux series. I want to thank Armentrout for actually, receiving the idea from a friend of hers (Yes, I read the acknowledgments) and writing it out. Thanks for making a Katy and a Daemon, and a Dawson and a Beth, and an Archer, a Luc, a Hunter, a Dee and practically everything. I'm am sooo going to miss this series, but I know I have to get over it soon, but it'll always have a special place in a special part in my heart.

Oh, and before I forget, I also want to apologize for my lack of blog posts and reviews. I am so sorry! I haven't been busy, I won't lie to you guys, but I HAVE been in a reading slump and I just can't get into any book. All I've been doing is rereading books I've already reviewed, so I didn't have any new reviews to write for you, but I promise, I'll be doing my reviews more frequently now, because I've received books that have piqued my interest. :D


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...