Saturday, May 24, 2014

Book Review: The Maze Runner by James Dashner

Series: The Maze Runner (#1)
Genres: Young Adult, Mystery, Fantasy
Published: October 6th, 2009
Publisher: Delacorte Press
Purchase: Amazon | Barnes & Noble


"If you ain't scared, you ain't human."

When Thomas wakes up in the lift, the only thing he can remember is his name. He's surrounded by strangers--boys whose memories are also gone.

Outside the towering stone walls that surround the Glade is a limitless, ever-changing maze. It's the only way out--and no one's ever made it through alive.

Then a girl arrives. The first girl ever. And the message she delivers is terrifying.
Oh..Wow. One word. Superduperamazing. The plot was splendid and unique, the world building was fine. The characters though, was another aspect. Plain and simple, nothing unique.

Usually in my reviews, I don't type out what this book is about, but really, I just want to explain it..The whole summary from goodreads. So, Thomas, is a boy. A teen, if I were to be more precise. He wakes up in a box and has amnesia...only remembering his name. The box opens and he's now surrounded by strangers. More boys he doesn't know. They drag him out of them box, and he lands in a place the boys call, "The Glade". The Glade is a room, I guess that's the best I could describe it, but outside the barriers(the stone walls) is a maze. One that changes it's routes every so often. And everyone is trying to escape.

Yep. That's The Maze Runner to you. I just wanted to give you a brief explanation of what The Maze Runner truly is. Not a confusing story. Well, it is. The mystery is well kept and something I would never tire of. I wanted answers, but the only way to get them was to read through the characters' points of views. So, you just kind of have to bear with it and go along with their mysterious lives. Now the characters on the other hand are simply the downside of the book. Makes the book less worth. They're all similar with their amnesia and the way they landed in The Glade. They only remember their names and their only goal is to escape. Very....un-unique. Boring. Plain. Not the type of characters I was expecting in a spectacular book like this.

The Plot...Oh my gosh. Fangirl. Sooo good! Haven't read a book like this in soo long, one that captured my attention every moment of my life. For some reason, it didn't really bother me not getting any answers..y'know? I'm not sure if everyone feels like they need to have answers, but I felt like I could get along with the book just fine with the few answers Dashner has given us. The world building was also fine and on point. It had the grievers and the maze and overall, everything in general. I really have nothing to say about this book, for it has few faults and many...cool scenes. Um..Emotions that I was feeling? I never really felt sad when we lost a character, so I would've liked it more if Thomas interacted more with the other characters before Dashner killed them off so that I could..you know..have emotions when someone dies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...